Definition of sapsucker in English:
An American woodpecker that pecks rows of small holes in trees and visits them for sap and insects.
- Sphyrapicus, family Picidae: four species
- They pierce the base of a flower to get at the nectar, and visit woodpecker and sapsucker holes for tree sap.
- When nectar resources are scarce, hummingbirds will also feed on sap from holes in trees made by sapsuckers (Sphyrapicus).
- The largest of Washington's sapsuckers, Williamson's Sapsuckers are striking birds.
Definition of sapsucker in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.