Definition of sapsucker in English:
An American woodpecker that pecks rows of small holes in trees and visits them for sap and insects.
- Sphyrapicus, family Picidae: four species
- They pierce the base of a flower to get at the nectar, and visit woodpecker and sapsucker holes for tree sap.
- When nectar resources are scarce, hummingbirds will also feed on sap from holes in trees made by sapsuckers (Sphyrapicus).
- The largest of Washington's sapsuckers, Williamson's Sapsuckers are striking birds.
Definition of sapsucker in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Pakistan