- An American woodpecker that pecks rows of small holes in trees and visits them for sap and insects.
More example sentences
- Sphyrapicus, family Picidae: four species
- They pierce the base of a flower to get at the nectar, and visit woodpecker and sapsucker holes for tree sap.
- When nectar resources are scarce, hummingbirds will also feed on sap from holes in trees made by sapsuckers (Sphyrapicus).
- The largest of Washington's sapsuckers, Williamson's Sapsuckers are striking birds.
More definitions of sapsuckerDefinition of sapsucker in:
- The British & World English dictionary