- A structural unit of a myofibril in striated muscle, consisting of a dark band and the nearer half of each adjacent pale band.More example sentences
- The actin filaments found in the sarcomeres of striated muscles, as well as in stress fibers and microvilli in nonmuscle cells, are stable, unbranched structures.
- Electron microscopy was used to examine ultrastructural evidence of injury, including sarcomeric disruption, disorganisation of myofilaments, misalignment of adjacent sarcomeres, and distortion or absence of Z-lines.
- Gradually, new sarcomeres (contractile units) are laid down to share the work load and reduce the wall stress.
late 19th century: from Greek sarx, sark- 'flesh' + meros 'part'.
More definitions of sarcomereDefinition of sarcomere in:
- The British & World English dictionary