(also sargassum weed)
Definition of sargassum in English:
A brown seaweed with berrylike air bladders, typically forming large floating masses.
- Genus Sargassum, class Phaeophyceae
- Hatchlings that successfully make the trek from their nests to the relative safety of the gulf and ocean waters find sanctuary from predators in large, floating beds of sargassum seaweed far offshore.
- Patches of sargassum weed can be fish magnets
- They are also frequently found in floating sargassum weed, which suggests that they are common offshore.
Definition of sargassum in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan