(also sarsen stone)
- A silicified sandstone boulder of a kind that occurs on the chalk downs of southern England. Such stones were used in constructing Stonehenge and other prehistoric monuments.More example sentences
- The first discovered and best-known Bronze Age carvings at the site are the dagger and axehead found by Richard Atkinson in 1953, on the inner face of Stone 53, one of the imposing Trilithon sarsens.
- One curious natural source of musical sound is the ‘blowing stone’, a naturally perforated block of sarsen that can be blown to produce a wailing sound.
- He glances up as the sun suddenly shafts through the dark rain clouds, illuminating two great rings of lichen-encrusted sarsens.
late 17th century: probably a variant of Saracen.
More definitions of sarsenDefinition of sarsen in:
- The British & World English dictionary