Relating to tailoring, clothes, or style of dress: sartorial elegance
More example sentences
- Do you know a businessman who turns heads as he strides the city's sidewalks in his perfectly tailored sartorial elegance?
- Patients prefer doctors to dress in a semiformal style, but when accompanied by a smiling face it is even better, suggesting a friendly manner may be more important than sartorial style.
- I've dressed up a bit in deference to Evans's sartorial elegance.
- Example sentences
- Sitting in his sunny front room silhouetted in the bay window, white t-shirt, tartan shorts and sports socks, he is sartorially the polar opposite of the traditional bow-tie and tails combo.
- Fortunately our appearance did not put off our new-found, sartorially elegant friends and we spent three days fishing with them, fishing mini-matches on two of those days.
- Certainly the more sartorially aware New Yorkers adore his stuff.
Early 19th century: from Latin sartor 'tailor' (from sarcire 'to patch') + -ial.
Words that rhyme with sartorialaccessorial, accusatorial, advertorial, ambassadorial, arboreal, armorial, auditorial, authorial, boreal, censorial, combinatorial, consistorial, conspiratorial, corporeal, curatorial, dictatorial, directorial, editorial, equatorial, executorial, gladiatorial, gubernatorial, immemorial, imperatorial, janitorial, lavatorial, manorial, marmoreal, memorial, monitorial, natatorial, oratorial, oriel, pictorial, piscatorial, prefectorial, professorial, proprietorial, rectorial, reportorial, scriptorial, sectorial, senatorial, territorial, tonsorial, tutorial, uxorial, vectorial, visitorial
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of sartorial in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.