1Holding as much water or moisture as can be absorbed; thoroughly soaked.
- Nearly level topography, where soil usually drains poorly, may also result in surface movement of materials by water when a saturated condition in the soil causes high runoff.
- White granite boulders were loosened from the surrounding hills, split using water saturated wooden stakes, and painstakingly shaped into building blocks.
- Soon, almost incredibly, I saw three life-jacketed figures lift a thoroughly saturated tuxedo-wearing form onto the police boat.
1.1 Chemistry (Of a solution) containing the largest possible amount of a particular solute.
- To maintain the saturated solution, add more of the distilled water or Ammonium Dichromate, always ensuring that a fine slurry of crystals is present on the bottom.
- I held the saturated bisulfite solution at arms length and slowly added the sulfuric acid.
- If a hot saturated sugar solution is allowed to cool slowly, the sugar comes out of solution and crystallizes on the bottom of the container.
2.1Denoting fats containing a high proportion of fatty acid molecules without double bonds, considered to be less healthy in the diet than unsaturated fats.
- Consumption of products such as soy milk also rose as consumers sought ways of reducing levels of saturated fat and cholesterol in their diets.
- The Mediterranean diet is lighter on the saturated fats found in meat and dairy products, and heavier on mono-unsaturated fats, found in olive oil and walnuts.
- At first glance, a serving of the lasagna appears to have 16 grams of fat - seven of them saturated.
3(Of color) very bright, full, and free from an admixture of white: intense and saturated color
More example sentences
- Its low refractive index, compared with that of the pigments, cause the scattering of considerable amounts of incident light, resulting in less saturated colours.
- The image is bright and crisp with fully saturated colours.
- Brilliant saturated colours are allowed to interlock in these irregular, but organically shaped patches.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.