Definition of sauce in English:
1Thick liquid served with food, usually savory dishes, to add moistness and flavor: tomato sauce the cubes can be added to soups and sauces
More example sentences
- It us used as a thickener in ice cream, frozen yogurt, sherbet, cheese, low-fat salad dressings, ketchup, sauces and many other food products.
- The organic farmers and food processors who supply ingredients for his hot sauces and salad dressings generally share his commitment to high-quality, eco-friendly food.
- No longer could the shortcomings of a meal be disguised with sauces: nouvelle cuisine required wonderfully fresh ingredients and a great deal of culinary skill.
1.1North American Stewed fruit, especially apples, eaten as dessert or used as a garnish.
- Try making your own apple sauce and pear sauce; don't add any sugar, as these fruits are sweet enough on their own.
- Meanwhile, you do know how to make delicious homemade cranberry sauce, don't you?
2 (the sauce) informal Alcoholic drink: she’s been on the sauce for years
verb[with object] Back to top
1 (usually be sauced) Provide a sauce for (something); season with a sauce.
- Crunchy, pale, looking like a cross between retractable antennae and geometric Aztec art, they're sauced with chili oil, ginger, garlic, and fresh slices of scallion, and have all the crunchy appeal of summertime picnic food.
- Early the next morning, the dough is sauced, cheese is added, and it is baked for 15 to 20 minutes at 430 degrees in a revolving shelf oven.
- An unusually light tete de veau is sauced with an unusually well-gauged sauce greibish - a standard dish, of course, but rendered with expertise.
- Example sentences
- New York pizza, contrary to the reputation, is among the worst in the country; it's usually made hours in advance, and it's generally sauceless.
- Three enormous, sauceless meatballs made even the mountainous pile of unexceptional potato salad look small in comparison.
- I was served salmon poached in red wine on a bed of sauceless tagliatelle which was cold.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan