Definition of saving in English:
- The reduction for two is based on the saving in postage costs.
- All this means that eliminating tuition is a real financial possibility, given the saving in administration and financial assistance that would result.
- For example, if an engineer constructed a project overall within budget and made a saving in nine out of ten items within the bill, he received no bonus or award.
- Some who have followed this route have lost not only their redundancy money but their life savings.
- Folks got more and more greedy, throwing their life savings and retirement money into the market.
- Pension holders risk losing their life savings if their employer goes bust, the pensions advisory service has warned.
adjective[in combination] Back to top
prepositionBack to top
Use savings in the modifying position (savings bank, savings bond) and when referring to money saved in a bank: your savings are fully insured. When speaking of an act of saving, as when one obtains a discount on a purchase, the preferred form is saving: with this coupon you will receive a saving of $3 (not a savings of $3).
Words that rhyme with savingcraving, engraving, paving, raving, shaving
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.