A small North and Central American owl with a call that resembles the sound of a saw blade being sharpened.
- Genus Aegolius, family Strigidae: two species, in particular the North American A. acadicus
More example sentences
- In the northern saw-whet owl the female may reach 150% of her non-breeding body mass while egg-laying!
- Various factors are likely to contribute to migration patterns of saw-whet owls.
- The next day Amber and I had our owl prowl so mom and Terri got to watch the class and come out with us as we took the class to see a northern saw-whet owl.
Definition of saw-whet owl in:
- The British & World English dictionary