(also sawtoothed or saw-toothed-ˌto͞oTHt)
Definition of sawtooth in English:
1Shaped like the teeth of a saw with alternate steep and gentle slopes.
- An enormous cirque plunged 300 feet down to a frozen aquamarine lake and then sloped up and away to a sawtoothed ridge.
- The sculptures seem like bellicose battleships, flaunting jagged-ribbed fins and sawtooth incisors.
- The serrated or sawtooth wheel is most commonly used, but a smooth wheel is preferable on delicate fabrics.
1.1 Physics (Of a waveform) showing a slow linear rise and rapid linear fall or vice versa.
- It has two oscillators per voice, each with pulse, triangle and sawtooth waveforms, and they can be detuned or synchronized.
- Variable frequency sawtooth waveforms are often utilized as an excitation signal in a digital musical synthesizer.
Definition of sawtooth in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.