(also sawtoothed or saw-toothed /-ˌto͞oTHt/)
Definition of sawtooth in English:
1Shaped like the teeth of a saw with alternate steep and gentle slopes.
- An enormous cirque plunged 300 feet down to a frozen aquamarine lake and then sloped up and away to a sawtoothed ridge.
- The sculptures seem like bellicose battleships, flaunting jagged-ribbed fins and sawtooth incisors.
- The serrated or sawtooth wheel is most commonly used, but a smooth wheel is preferable on delicate fabrics.
1.1 Physics (Of a waveform) showing a slow linear rise and rapid linear fall or vice versa.
- It has two oscillators per voice, each with pulse, triangle and sawtooth waveforms, and they can be detuned or synchronized.
- Variable frequency sawtooth waveforms are often utilized as an excitation signal in a digital musical synthesizer.
Definition of sawtooth in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Pakistan