A low-growing plant of poor soils, bearing small white, yellow, or red flowers and forming rosettes of succulent leaves or hummocks of mossy leaves. Many are grown as alpines in rock gardens.
- Genus Saxifraga, family Saxifragaceae
More example sentences
- In the top of the wall, to soften the lines, Douglas has planted tough, low-growing alpines such as sedums, saxifrages and alpine pinks Dianthus alpinus.
- As for rock plants themselves, there are thousands of perennials and small shrubs to choose from, including a host of dianthus, saxifrages, sedums, and sempervivums.
- Alpine forget-me-nots, snow gentian, moss campion and an abundance of saxifrages grow here on the steep slopes.
Definition of saxifrage in:
- The British & World English dictionary