- 1A Muslim claiming descent from Muhammad, especially through Husayn, the prophet’s younger grandson.More example sentences
- This pattern in the Islamic movement emphasizes the effectiveness of the traditional network of ulama or sayyids based on their sacredness, nobility of origin, or salvation of the soul.
- But regarding the political position, it's the responsibility of the Sayyid himself.
- All the other small details will be settled within the family and with the blessings of the Sayid.
- 1.1A respectful Muslim form of address.More example sentences
- But Sayyid Al-Husseini, a farmer in Mahaweel, 50 miles south of Baghdad, scoffs at that.
Arabic, literally 'lord, prince'.
More definitions of sayyidDefinition of sayyid in:
- The British & World English dictionary