A plant of the teasel family, with pink, white, or (most commonly) blue pincushion-shaped flowers.
- Scabiosa, Knautia, and other genera, family Dipsacaceae: several species
More example sentences
- There were still flowers in plenty, pink campion, toadflax, small blue scabious, honeysuckle, and six-inch mushrooms, inedible no doubt, but the blackberries were ripe and juicy enough to quench thirst.
- Purple gentians and orchids, blue scabious and harebells, orange hawkweeds, and cream and pink yarrow provide a kaleidoscope of colour to enjoy at the end of your walk.
- The biological remains show Silbury I was built on mature chalk grassland containing plants such as salad burnet, small scabious, bird's foot trefoil and meadow buttercup, with very little woodland in the area.
adjectiveBack to top
Definition of scabious in:
- The British & World English dictionary