noun (plural scalae tympani /ˈskālē/)Anatomy
- The lower bony passage of the cochlea.More example sentences
- The organ of hearing (the organ of Corti) is located in the scala media (cochlear duct) of the inner ear and is separated from the underlying scala tympani by the basilar membrane.
- The scala tympani uses both approaches, to different degrees in different lineages.
- This process limits the recessus scalae tympani anteriorly (filled by sandstone).
early 18th century: from Latin, literally 'ladder of the tympanum'.
More definitions of scala tympaniDefinition of scala tympani in:
- The British & World English dictionary