- A large carpal bone articulating with the radius below the thumb.More example sentences
- The scaphoid bone has an irregular shape, and 80% of the surface is covered by articular cartilage.
- Historically, the bone scan has been used to look for occult fractures of the scaphoid and other bones.
- The England captain fractured his right scaphoid, the bone between the thumb and the wrist, in the national team's 2-1 win over South Africa in Durban on Thursday.
mid 18th century (in the sense 'boat-shaped'): from modern Latin scaphoides, from Greek skaphoeidēs, from skaphos 'boat'.
More definitions of scaphoidDefinition of scaphoid in:
- The British & World English dictionary