Definition of scarce in English:
1(Especially of food, money, or some other resource) insufficient for the demand: as raw materials became scarce, synthetics were developed
More example sentences
- This was compounded by a growing competition for scarce food resources.
- They saw their families and communities through difficult times, when money was scarce and the demands of rural life were very demanding.
- This may be so fundamental to the business that diverting scarce resources and money into longer-term plans would be wrong.
in short supply, scant, scanty, meager, sparse, short, hard to find, hard to come by, too little, insufficient, deficient, inadequate, lacking, wanting;
informal rare/scarce as hen's teeth, rarer/scarcer than hen's teeth, not to be had for love or money
1.1Occurring in small numbers or quantities; rare: the freshwater shrimp becomes scarce in soft water
More example sentences
- Tatum rabbet planes are scarce to rare and this was a nice example.
- They were the secret of that period of time. They are still fairly rare, fairly scarce.
- In some ways it can be considered as a miniature flora of an area, highlighting the locally rare and scarce species.
adverbarchaic Back to top
make oneself scarce
- informal Leave a place, especially so as to avoid a difficult situation.Example sentences
- ‘It was an empty building and a small piece of glass,’ said PC Lewis, who expected the majority of people in the same situation would have made themselves scarce.
- Shelley and Thomas however, had made themselves scarce and gone to clear up the kitchen.
- The boy had made himself scarce in the past week, obviously avoiding the messengers for the day.
- Example sentences
- This last component supposedly arose in response to the scarceness of Arabic speakers in America's armed forces and intelligence organizations.
- The eiresione and the first-fruit sacrifice are typical signs of seasonal renewal: the first signs of coming prosperity after the scarceness of the winter period.
- Munificence relates to the scarceness of environment resources that support firm growth in a given industry.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan