nounNorth American • informal
- A stupid, awkward, or unlucky person.More example sentences
- When it comes to chopping veggies, a schlemiel would spend days building a massive contraption to do it for him.
- An ethnically Jewish version of the fool, the schlemiel is caught up in situations that reflect the historical problems of the Jewish people.
- But unlike Woody or Tommy - schlemiels with whom we can identify- Vladimir's ‘problems’ are too hysterical, too willfully and ridiculously constructed, for us to empathize.
late 19th century: from Yiddish shlemiel.
More definitions of schlemielDefinition of schlemiel in:
- The British & World English dictionary