Definition of scholar in English:
1A specialist in a particular branch of study, especially the humanities; a distinguished academic: a Hebrew scholar
More example sentences
- It required a cadre of scholars specialized in, and devoted to, the study of organizations.
- These scholars first write brief position papers, which are read by the group.
- This much has been known about Portus for generations as scholars have both read what ancient authors wrote about the harbour and explored the surviving remains.
1.3 archaic A student.
- At 14 he returned to being a full-time scholar at Dunbar High School, where he excelled at mathematics, and then at 16 he went back to the millwright's trade.
- In Lacedaemon, pedagogues chastised their scholars by biting their thumb.
- She drew attention to the centre's complementary courses aimed at preparing scholars for university entrance.
Words that rhyme with scholarayatollah, choler, collar, corolla, dollar, dolour (US dolor), Hezbollah, holler, squalor, wallah, Waller, white-collar
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan