1Academic study or achievement; learning of a high level.
- By the time they reach adulthood, many achieve high levels of Islamic scholarship.
- He is appalled at the level of scholarship in the theatre in this country.
- He proved to be the correct scholar to direct her to the next level in her scholarship.
learning, book learning, knowledge, erudition, education, letters, culture, academic study, academic achievement
2A grant or payment made to support a student’s education, awarded on the basis of academic or other achievement.
- The money will be used to support scholarships and education grants through the Foundation.
- The winners receive cash awards and scholarships to continue their education at college or art school.
- New staff have been hired and more money is available for student loans, scholarships and bursaries.
grant, award, endowment, payment, bursary
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.