Definition of schoolmaster in English:
A male teacher in a school.
- Less surprising is the large number of schoolmasters, top public school headmasters, college fellows and masters, and university professors.
- He is a sadistic schoolmaster and incompetent teacher.
- In 1790s Gotham, most children were educated within an informal system of ‘pay schools’ presided over by independent schoolmasters and schoolmistresses.
- Example sentences
- His piece is rather smug, schoolmasterly and patronising.
- Much as he disliked the label ‘Father Of The Nation’, for many people he was just that, a gaunt, schoolmasterly figure who had rekindled Scotland's parliament and whose experience was essential for its well - being.
- Political condemnation and praise in the name of art seem to be two sides of one coin representing a schoolmasterly avoidance of the issue.
Definition of schoolmaster in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan