A male teacher in a school.
- Less surprising is the large number of schoolmasters, top public school headmasters, college fellows and masters, and university professors.
- He is a sadistic schoolmaster and incompetent teacher.
- In 1790s Gotham, most children were educated within an informal system of ‘pay schools’ presided over by independent schoolmasters and schoolmistresses.
- Example sentences
- His piece is rather smug, schoolmasterly and patronising.
- Much as he disliked the label ‘Father Of The Nation’, for many people he was just that, a gaunt, schoolmasterly figure who had rekindled Scotland's parliament and whose experience was essential for its well - being.
- Political condemnation and praise in the name of art seem to be two sides of one coin representing a schoolmasterly avoidance of the issue.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of schoolmaster in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.