- A female teacher in a school.More example sentences
- Individual schoolmistresses and teachers in the academies and seminaries that proliferated in Alexandria during the antebellum period offered instruction in a wide range of useful and ornamental subjects.
- I was barely even seventeen yet and so I could not get a job as a schoolmistress or a governess.
- Primary schoolmasters and schoolmistresses, the instituteurs and institutrices, were liberated from the grip of the church, and in 1889 they became employees of the central state instead of the local council.
More definitions of schoolmistressDefinition of schoolmistress in:
- The British & World English dictionary