Definition of scintillator in English:
1A material that fluoresces when struck by a charged particle or high-energy photon.
- It consists of a 13 meters in diameter weather balloon filled with about a kiloton of liquid scintillator, a chemical soup that emits flashes of light when an incoming anti-neutrino collides with a proton.
- Plastic scintillators, placed between the bricks, are needed to produce a flash of light upon absorption of an ionizing particle, specifically, neutrino.
1.1A detector for charged particles and gamma rays in which scintillations produced in a phosphor are detected and amplified by a photomultiplier, giving an electrical output signal.
- However, traditional film-based scanners are gradually being replaced by digital systems that are based primarily on caesium-iodide scintillators coupled to flat-panel detectors.
- Photons emitted from the scintillator generate an electron-hole pair.
- Luc activity was assayed quantitatively with a liquid scintillator using the photon-counting mode after the feeding of luciferin as substrate.
Definition of scintillator in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.