A tyrant flycatcher with a very long forked tail, found in the southern US and noted for its spectacular aerial display.
- Tyrannus forficatus, family Tyrannidae
More example sentences
- In those days scissor-tailed flycatchers were still uncommon in our part of the world, and seemed nearly as exotic to us as toucans.
- As I stood there on my sister's porch, the first scissor-tailed flycatcher of the spring flew over.
- Was it a member of the winged flock that was in the running for Oklahoma's state bird, an honor ultimately bestowed on the swallow-tailed scissortail flycatcher?
More definitions of scissor-tailed flycatcherDefinition of scissor-tailed flycatcher in:
- The British & World English dictionary