Definition of scissor-tailed flycatcher in English:
A tyrant flycatcher with a very long forked tail, found in the southern US and noted for its spectacular aerial display.
- Tyrannus forficatus, family Tyrannidae
- In those days scissor-tailed flycatchers were still uncommon in our part of the world, and seemed nearly as exotic to us as toucans.
- As I stood there on my sister's porch, the first scissor-tailed flycatcher of the spring flew over.
- Was it a member of the winged flock that was in the running for Oklahoma's state bird, an honor ultimately bestowed on the swallow-tailed scissortail flycatcher?
Definition of scissor-tailed flycatcher in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan