Definition of sclera in English:
The white outer layer of the eyeball. At the front of the eye it is continuous with the cornea.
- The remaining chapters include discussions of tumors of the orbit, eyelid, conjunctiva, cornea and sclera, uvea, and optic nerve.
- At the external border between the cornea and the sclera is the external scleral sulcus depression.
- The limbus is the thin area that connects the cornea and the sclera, the white part of the eye.
- Example sentences
- On examination, the patient appears nontoxic, is afebrile, has normal visual acuity, and demonstrates moderate bilateral conjunctival and scleral erythema, serous discharge, conjunctival swelling, and a tender preauricular node.
- Surgical options include ulcer debridement, conjunctival resection, corneal graft, application of tissue adhesives, sclerectomy, and scleral patch grafting.
- Physical exam reveals scleral icterus, an enlarged liver that is firm to palpation, and occasional splenomegaly.
Definition of sclera in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.