- The white outer layer of the eyeball. At the front of the eye it is continuous with the cornea.More example sentences
- The remaining chapters include discussions of tumors of the orbit, eyelid, conjunctiva, cornea and sclera, uvea, and optic nerve.
- At the external border between the cornea and the sclera is the external scleral sulcus depression.
- The limbus is the thin area that connects the cornea and the sclera, the white part of the eye.
- More example sentences
- On examination, the patient appears nontoxic, is afebrile, has normal visual acuity, and demonstrates moderate bilateral conjunctival and scleral erythema, serous discharge, conjunctival swelling, and a tender preauricular node.
- Surgical options include ulcer debridement, conjunctival resection, corneal graft, application of tissue adhesives, sclerectomy, and scleral patch grafting.
- Physical exam reveals scleral icterus, an enlarged liver that is firm to palpation, and occasional splenomegaly.
late 19th century: modern Latin, from Greek sklēros 'hard'.
More definitions of scleraDefinition of sclera in:
- The British & World English dictionary