Definition of scopolamine in English:
A poisonous plant alkaloid used as an antiemetic in motion sickness, as a preoperative medication for examination of the eye, and formerly as a sedative and hypnotic.
- Chemical formula: C17H21NO4. It is obtained chiefly from plants of the genus Scopolia, family Solanaceae
- What do aspirin, codeine, ipecac, reserpine, scopolamine, theophylline, and vinblastine have in common?
- Causative medications are droperidol, diphenhydramine, meperidine, promethazine, atropine, and scopolamine.
- In all preceding studies, alkaloid production was measured as scopolamine and hyoscyamine only.
late 19th century: from Scopolia (genus name of the plants yielding it) + amine.
Definition of scopolamine in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan