1A confused struggle or fight.
- Different situations, and momentaneous scrimmages brought about this rivalry, and consequently led to many wars between the natives and settlers in the years to come.
- This exhibition was as different as possible from our normal scrimmages.
- And they were not able to make any scrimmages with any of our fighters in the city.
2 American Football The beginning of each down of play, with the ball placed on the ground between the offensive and defensive lines with its longest axis at right angles to the goal line.
- Any kick from scrimmage must be made from behind the line to be legal.
- On a play from scrimmage, if an offensive player fumbles anywhere on the field during fourth down, only the fumbling player is permitted to recover and/or advance the ball.
- Later in the series, the next offense had a little bit better luck as the freshman running back gained 17 yards on the first play from scrimmage.
2.1chiefly American Football A session in which teams practice by playing a simulated game.
- Some online league play, customized team matches and plain scrimmages would definitely be a welcome addition to the game.
- Owners decided that coaches would fill the additional schedule time produced by the elimination of two preseason games with additional intrasquad scrimmages.
- After the rest of the drills, Coach broke them up into teams for scrimmages.
verb[no object] chiefly American Football
Engage in a simulated game.
- Of course, it never helps to sprain an ankle halfway through by stepping on someone else's foot scrimmaging, and then continue to run on it…
- When she got there, the girls were already scrimmaging.
- We'll just be scrimmaging, and a few different drills, so I can see who you are and where I want to put you.
- Example sentences
- She plays the show-biz game like a true scrimmager, dodging, scrambling and tackling much bigger obstacles.
- Like the other prop, he must be a rock solid scrimmager.
- In scrimmage, each team had one centre scrimmager flanked by two side scrimmagers.
Late Middle English: alteration of dialect scrimish, variant of the noun skirmish.
Words that rhyme with scrimmageimage
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.