- Adorn (whalebone, ivory, shells, or other materials) with carved or colored designs.More example sentences
- While he was scrimshawing it, he was reminded of a puzzling question which of course I don't know the answer to.
- Some sea shells, such as abalone, have been scrimshawed and horn, particularly cattle horn, is also scrimshawed.
- It has been scrimshawed and carved by the hand of this talented carver.
nounBack to top
- Scrimshawed ivory or shells.More example sentences
- History buffs and art lovers will find much to savor including scrimshaw at this noteworthy museum.
- Right now I currently do scrimshaw and other artwork.
- Pictured below are a several scrimshaw pieces that we have SOLD from our extensive inventory of antique scrimshaw.
early 19th century: of unknown origin; perhaps influenced by the surname Scrimshaw.
More definitions of scrimshawDefinition of scrimshaw in:
- The British & World English dictionary