Definition of scrimshaw in English:
Adorn (whalebone, ivory, shells, or other materials) with carved or colored designs.
- While he was scrimshawing it, he was reminded of a puzzling question which of course I don't know the answer to.
- Some sea shells, such as abalone, have been scrimshawed and horn, particularly cattle horn, is also scrimshawed.
- It has been scrimshawed and carved by the hand of this talented carver.
nounBack to top
Scrimshawed ivory or shells.
- History buffs and art lovers will find much to savor including scrimshaw at this noteworthy museum.
- Right now I currently do scrimshaw and other artwork.
- Pictured below are a several scrimshaw pieces that we have SOLD from our extensive inventory of antique scrimshaw.
early 19th century: of unknown origin; perhaps influenced by the surname Scrimshaw.
Definition of scrimshaw in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan