1Handwriting as distinct from print; written characters: her neat, tidy script
More example sentences
- At the same time another form of writing, cursive script, was also being developed.
- Underneath it were the words " Animal Martyr " emblazoned in a flowing, Gothic script.
- Each scroll was labeled along its edge in the flowing script used in most writing.
1.1Printed type imitating handwriting.
- Neo, installed over the outside bar in the garden of Edison's in Tremont, once spelled the prefix so dear to art historians in letters of radically different scripts.
- Working with no clear plan, he brought in dozens of alphabetic letters in various scripts, sizes and colors.
- The font set features 9 unique, historically accurate script fonts.
1.2Writing using a particular alphabet: Russian script
More example sentences
- The quality of the Arabic script is quite poor, obviously copied by a Chinese artisan.
- Urdu uses an Arabic script, but Persian vocabulary and Hindi grammatical structure.
- For example, among the 26 nationalities in Yunnan, there are 11 nationalities that formerly used 24 writing scripts.
2The written text of a play, movie, or broadcast.
- His repertoire includes movies, too, for which he's written successful scripts, and novels, one of which won the Booker Prize.
- His words depressed me to the point where I decided not to pursue script writing, even though I love writing scripts.
- Raw video footage was edited and narration was provided from carefully prepared scripts.
2.1 Computing An automated series of instructions carried out in a specific order.
- So I decided to write my own Perl script to do the job.
- Learn to read shell scripts and follow their workings.
- One way to do this is to remotely run a simple, undocumented CGI script installed on the drive.
2.2 Psychology The social role or behavior appropriate to particular situations that an individual absorbs through cultural influences and association with others.
- The men and women did not differ in the duration of their ideal scripts for foreplay.
- Each, in the language of Simon and Gagnon, with a unique ideal sexual script.
- Both partners' ideal scripts and cultural role scripts for foreplay were associated with the performance script for foreplay.
verb[with object] Back to top
- 1flip the script
- informal, chiefly North American Reverse the usual or existing positions in a situation; do something unexpected or revolutionary: Campbell flips the script on the old beauty-and-the-beast formula she decided to flip the script and ask her boyfriend of eight years to marry herMore example sentences
- To flip the script, we must first become aware of it.
- But the president has the opportunity to flip the script.
- And to prove I'm no sexist, I'm going to flip the script.
Words that rhyme with scriptconscript, crypt, encrypt, harelipped, hipped, unequipped, unwhipped
A doctor’s prescription, especially one for narcotic drugs.
- ‘It is not about convenience and it's not about saving dollars, it's about the best clinical action of writing a script for a patient,’ she said.
- Go the the doc and get a script for it.
- I was in Australia recently and I had forgotten to get a script made out for my medication.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.