noun(often Scripture or Scriptures)
- 1The sacred writings of Christianity contained in the Bible: passages of scripture the fundamental teachings of the ScripturesMore example sentences
- It is difficult to find a Father who does not quote the Apocrypha and treat it as Scripture.
- The terms ‘Trinity’ and ‘persons’ as related to the Godhead, while not found in the Scriptures, are words in harmony with Scripture.
- We read in Scripture that truth is an attribute of God (Jeremiah 10:10; John 1:14; 14:6; 17:3), and that God speaks truthfully - that is, He does not lie.
- 1.1The sacred writings of another religion.More example sentences
- It is standard Islamic belief that all holy scriptures except the Qur'an have been altered from their original forms over time.
- Hindu scripture is overwhelmingly written in Sanskrit.
- The Pauranas are called Dharma Shastras, scriptures on Dharma, how to live a righteous life.
Middle English: from Latin scriptura 'writings', from script- 'written', from the verb scribere.