- A clerk, scribe, or notary.More example sentences
- His father, a scrivener, had rebelled against his father's Catholicism to become an Anglican (and been disinherited for his apostasy).
- It is also not clear why, occasionally, the scrivener found it necessary to record the family connections for some men while not so at other times.
- The first entry made by the scrivener for the town of Braga in northern Portugal, on Saturday, 5 February 1569, refers to a petition before the municipal council from Ilena Piriz.
Middle English: shortening of Old French escrivein, from Latin scriba (see scribe).
More definitions of scrivenerDefinition of scrivener in:
- The British & World English dictionary