Definition of scup in English:
noun (plural same)
A common porgy with faint dark vertical bars, occurring off the coasts of the northwestern Atlantic.
- Stenotomus chrysops, family Sparidae
- PIV analysis of boundary layer flow shows increased shear rates of 3.6 for swimming smooth dogfish and 1.5 to 1.9 for scup compared to a rigid reference.
- This was shortened by the early settlers in New England to scuppaug; and afterwards to scup, a better name than porgy (or paugy, as it used to be spelled at New York), and one still in use as a common name.
- When the first federal fish commissioner tried in 1871 to resolve a conflict in New England over declining scup stocks, the states were ill-equipped to deal with the issue and the commissioner gave up.
Mid 19th century: from Narragansett mishcup.
Words that rhyme with scupcup, grown-up, pup, straight-up, stuck-up, summing-up, sup, totting-up, two-up, up, washing-up
Definition of scup in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan