Definition of scup in English:
noun (plural same)
A common porgy with faint dark vertical bars, occurring off the coasts of the northwestern Atlantic.
- Stenotomus chrysops, family Sparidae
- PIV analysis of boundary layer flow shows increased shear rates of 3.6 for swimming smooth dogfish and 1.5 to 1.9 for scup compared to a rigid reference.
- This was shortened by the early settlers in New England to scuppaug; and afterwards to scup, a better name than porgy (or paugy, as it used to be spelled at New York), and one still in use as a common name.
- When the first federal fish commissioner tried in 1871 to resolve a conflict in New England over declining scup stocks, the states were ill-equipped to deal with the issue and the commissioner gave up.
Mid 19th century: from Narragansett mishcup.
Words that rhyme with scupcup, grown-up, pup, straight-up, stuck-up, summing-up, sup, totting-up, two-up, up, washing-up
Definition of scup in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.