Definition of sea nettle in English:
A large, stinging jellyfish.
- Chrysaora and other genera, class Scyphozoa: numerous species, including the East Coast sea nettle (C. quinquecirrha), which is particularly common in Chesapeake Bay during midsummer
- Regions of the Chesapeake Bay can be notorious hotbeds for the sea nettle, Chrysaora quinuecirrha - a jellyfish with a veil of transparent stinging tentacles.
- Seen at the Monterey Bay Aquarium, delicate sea nettle jellyfish are creatures of grace and beauty - a fragile part of a complex ecosystem.
- True to its common name, the East Coast sea nettle, Chrysaora quinquecirrha, lives along the United States' eastern shore and plagues swimmers with painful welts.
Definition of sea nettle in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.