Definition of sea biscuit in English:
1 Another term for hardtack.
- Some examples of this sort are the small oyster cracker, used on top of seafood chowders, and the crackers known as ship's biscuit (or pilot biscuit or sea biscuit).
- As one of the original sailors' training ship Tingira recalled, they received for breakfast ’… a steaming bowl of hot cocoa, and a hard sea biscuit’.
- The British Admiralty, 16th century, deemed it anthropophagism and forbade it, though castaways, after Go days, were exempted upon the depletion of sea biscuits.
2 another term for sand dollar.
- This species is not nearly so flat as most clypeasteroids so the name "sand dollar" is not descriptive: It is usually called a sea biscuit.
- And then there is also the wonderful sea biscuit and even ‘sea cookies’ which are only about an inch in diameter and almost perfectly round.
Definition of sea biscuit in:
- British & World English dictionary