Definition of sea holly in English:
A spiny-leaved plant of the parsley family, with metallic blue teasel-like flowers, growing in sandy places by the sea and native to Europe.
- Eryngium maritimum, family Umbelliferae. See also eryngium
- Our native sea holly, appropriately called Eryngium maritimum, is a prime example.
- One she often used was the slow germinating silvery sea holly which subsequently became known as ‘Miss Willmott's Ghost’.
- Our charity Christmas cards are now available at the Coastguard Station featuring some fabulous photography of sea holly.
Definition of sea holly in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India