Definition of sea nettle in English:
A large, stinging jellyfish.
- Chrysaora and other genera, class Scyphozoa: numerous species, including the East Coast sea nettle (C. quinquecirrha), which is particularly common in Chesapeake Bay during midsummer
- Regions of the Chesapeake Bay can be notorious hotbeds for the sea nettle, Chrysaora quinuecirrha - a jellyfish with a veil of transparent stinging tentacles.
- Seen at the Monterey Bay Aquarium, delicate sea nettle jellyfish are creatures of grace and beauty - a fragile part of a complex ecosystem.
- True to its common name, the East Coast sea nettle, Chrysaora quinquecirrha, lives along the United States' eastern shore and plagues swimmers with painful welts.
Definition of sea nettle in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan