Definition of sea otter in English:
An entirely aquatic marine otter of North Pacific coasts, formerly hunted for its dense fur. It is noted for its habit of floating on its back with a stone balanced on the abdomen, in order to crack open bivalve mollusks.
- Enhydra lutris, family Mustelidae
- The sea otter's range was restricted to the North Pacific basin, at least from the Pleistocene onward.
- In the north, the sea otter is thriving in areas off Alaska and British Columbia, and a translocated group off Washington State is growing.
- A few other carnivores, such as the sea otter, are also specialized for life in the oceans.
Definition of sea otter in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan