Definition of sea urchin in English:
A marine echinoderm that has a spherical or flattened shell covered in mobile spines, with a mouth on the underside and calcareous jaws. Many species are harvested for food.
- Class Echinoidea: several families and genera, and numerous species, including the Atlantic purple sea urchin (Arbacia punctulata, family Arbaciidae) and the green sea urchin (Strongylocentrotus drobachiensis, family Strongylocentrotidae)
- The sea urchin is one of the few marine organisms whose genome has been sequenced.
- The inner shell of a sea urchin is a hollow globe, scored in five curved sections that taper at the ends into a small hole at the top and bottom.
- The red sea urchin's body is domed above and flat below.
Definition of sea urchin in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan