(also sea horse)
Definition of seahorse in English:
1A small marine fish with segmented bony armor, an upright posture, a curled prehensile tail, a tubular snout, and a head and neck suggestive of a horse.
- Genus Hippocampus, family Syngnathidae: many species, including the European H. ramulosus and the American H. hudsonius
- Andersson says similar evolutionary pressures help to explain the sexual antics of the pipefish, a close relative of the sea horse.
- And last summer the first sea horse was recorded in the Thames estuary in 30 years.
- The good news is that the partnership collaborations for sea horse and marine conservation have grown enormously.
2A mythical creature with a horse’s head and fish’s tail.
- Neptune is also able to heal the injuries of living beings and transform beings into other shapes and forms (such as when he transformed a white stallion into a sea horse).
- The gods were frequently portrayed as riding the mythical Hippocampus, a magical sea horse first recognized by anthropologists in early Etruscan wall-paintings.
Definition of seahorse in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan