- A meeting at which people attempt to make contact with the dead, especially through the agency of a medium.More example sentences
- We should conduct a seance and attempt to contact the spirit of Eddie Daniels.
- Each of those shows was quiet enough to be a seance, a failed attempt to make contact with a dead celebrity.
- Red Sox outfielder Mike Greenwell used to collect bats from slumping players, pile them on the clubhouse floor, and perform seances to awaken the dead wood.
late 18th century: French séance, from Old French seoir, from Latin sedere 'sit'.
More definitions of seanceDefinition of seance in:
- The British & World English dictionary