- 1 Ballet A posture in which the feet form a straight line, being turned out to either side with the heels separated by the distance of a small step.More example sentences
- Once you're warm, you can stretch your groin muscles doing the straddle position by standing up with feet parallel in second position, bending one leg while leaving the other straight.
- From the first position, big jump into the second position plié.
- Finding the right pointe shoe accessories, like finding your second position, takes practice.
- 1.1A position of the arms in which they are held out to each side of the body, curving forward and slightly upward.More example sentences
- The arms are usually in an extended second position with the wrists slightly lifted when she is in the air.
- In second position, you have to get the elbow up.
- The students place their fingers at the base of their ribs and then extend their arms out to a second position that is somewhat low.
- 2 Music A position of the left hand on the fingerboard of a stringed instrument nearer to the bridge than the first position, enabling a higher-pitched set of notes to be played.More example sentences
- Technical issues include some position work, with a couple well-chosen opportunities to access second position through finger substitutions or half-step shifts.
More definitions of second positionDefinition of second position in:
- The British & World English dictionary