- A retaliatory attack conducted with weapons designed to withstand an initial nuclear attack (a “first strike”).More example sentences
- Capable of remaining submerged, nuclear-capable submarines would be the most difficult of the nuclear-delivery platforms to detect and engage, which enhances their relevance as a credible second-strike capability.
- The old generals on TV talk of first strike and second-strike capabilities as though they're discussing a family board game.
- Lo Chih-cheng, a political analyst at the Institute for National Policy Research, expressed a wish that the US would help Taiwan develop its second-strike capability against Chinese attacks.
More definitions of second strikeDefinition of second strike in:
- The British & World English dictionary