Definition of secretariat in English:
1A permanent administrative office or department, especially a governmental one.
- The parties in every country have their own special women's committees, secretariats and bureaus.
- There are suggestions that regional health secretariats and youth centres might serve wider Commonwealth functions.
- But that process, however closely coordinated with U.N. secretariats, is still technically unilateral.
1.1 [treated as singular or plural] The staff working in a secretariat.
- I also pay tribute to the select committee secretariat for their work.
- The Parliament is helped by a large secretariat of approximately 3,500 staff, headed by a Secretary-General.
- The group's secretariat is usually provided by an outside body, either an NGO or a consultancy.
Words that rhyme with secretariatcommissariat, lumpenproletariat, proletariat, salariat, vicariate
Definition of secretariat in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.