Definition of secretary in English:
noun (plural secretaries)
1A person employed by an individual or in an office to assist with correspondence, keep records, make appointments, and carry out similar tasks.
- If necessary, counsel may contact my secretary to arrange an appointment to speak to the issue of costs on this motion.
- One guy a few years back asked me whether he should call back and make an appointment with my secretary to talk to me.
- There is a story doing the rounds about a city lawyer who asked an office secretary to pay £4 towards his dry cleaning bill.
1.1An official of a society or other organization who conducts its correspondence and keeps its records.
- The tuning of the City Hall organ is ongoing, and every night, the secretary of the Organ Society, David Smit, spends several hours tuning the instrument.
- This is borne out by a letter of April 11, from the solicitors to the area secretary of the Law society.
- It was provided to the Foreign Office by the secretary to the World Jewish Council, who in turn had received it from a source in Berlin.
1.2An official in charge of a government department: [as title]: Secretary of the Treasury
More example sentences
- And Dr. Sue Bailey is a former assistant defense secretary for health affairs.
- Perle is a commentator on defense issues and a former US assistant secretary of defense.
- In 1996, he became the sixth deputy assistant secretary of defense for Policy and Missions.
1.3A writing desk with shelves on top of it.
- The three small drawers in the desk section of this secretary are separated from the drawers below them by a molding that runs across the front and sides of the case.
- The base of this secretary bookcase, like many examples of late neoclassical case furniture, returns to the joined construction favored more than a century earlier.
- Example sentences
- Mrs Taylor's business interests last year included seven company secretaryships and two directorships.
- He replaces Peter Hain, who now combines the Welsh and Northern Ireland secretaryships.
- As I had done a course in company secretaryship, I decided to take up the project.
Words that rhyme with secretaryundersecretary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.