Definition of secretary in English:
noun (plural secretaries)
1A person employed by an individual or in an office to assist with correspondence, keep records, make appointments, and carry out similar tasks.
- If necessary, counsel may contact my secretary to arrange an appointment to speak to the issue of costs on this motion.
- One guy a few years back asked me whether he should call back and make an appointment with my secretary to talk to me.
- There is a story doing the rounds about a city lawyer who asked an office secretary to pay £4 towards his dry cleaning bill.
1.1An official of a society or other organization who conducts its correspondence and keeps its records.
- The tuning of the City Hall organ is ongoing, and every night, the secretary of the Organ Society, David Smit, spends several hours tuning the instrument.
- This is borne out by a letter of April 11, from the solicitors to the area secretary of the Law society.
- It was provided to the Foreign Office by the secretary to the World Jewish Council, who in turn had received it from a source in Berlin.
1.2An official in charge of a government department: [as title]: Secretary of the Treasury
More example sentences
- And Dr. Sue Bailey is a former assistant defense secretary for health affairs.
- Perle is a commentator on defense issues and a former US assistant secretary of defense.
- In 1996, he became the sixth deputy assistant secretary of defense for Policy and Missions.
1.3A writing desk with shelves on top of it.
- The three small drawers in the desk section of this secretary are separated from the drawers below them by a molding that runs across the front and sides of the case.
- The base of this secretary bookcase, like many examples of late neoclassical case furniture, returns to the joined construction favored more than a century earlier.
- Example sentences
- Mrs Taylor's business interests last year included seven company secretaryships and two directorships.
- He replaces Peter Hain, who now combines the Welsh and Northern Ireland secretaryships.
- As I had done a course in company secretaryship, I decided to take up the project.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.