- 1A process by which substances are produced and discharged from a cell, gland, or organ for a particular function in the organism or for excretion.More example sentences
- Status of various immune cells and intracellular secretion of cytokines were assessed by flow cytometry.
- Other drugs excreted via anionic tubular secretion have not been evaluated.
- Serous cell transport of urea may be analogous to secretion of uric acid, the major antioxidant in nasal secretions.
- 1.1A substance discharged by secretion.More example sentences
- These infant teeth are used to scrape fatty secretions and other nourishing substances from the female's reproductive organs.
- Nausea lessens as the flow of saliva, bile and gastric secretions picks up.
- It also controls food intake, regulates body temperature, and hormonal secretions.
mid 17th century: from French sécrétion or Latin secretio(n-) 'separation', from secret- 'moved apart', from the verb secernere.