Definition of secretion in English:
1A process by which substances are produced and discharged from a cell, gland, or organ for a particular function in the organism or for excretion.
- Status of various immune cells and intracellular secretion of cytokines were assessed by flow cytometry.
- Other drugs excreted via anionic tubular secretion have not been evaluated.
- Serous cell transport of urea may be analogous to secretion of uric acid, the major antioxidant in nasal secretions.
1.1A substance discharged by secretion.
- These infant teeth are used to scrape fatty secretions and other nourishing substances from the female's reproductive organs.
- Nausea lessens as the flow of saliva, bile and gastric secretions picks up.
- It also controls food intake, regulates body temperature, and hormonal secretions.
Mid 17th century: from French sécrétion or Latin secretio(n-) 'separation', from secret- 'moved apart', from the verb secernere.
Words that rhyme with secretionaccretion, Capetian, completion, concretion, deletion, depletion, Diocletian, excretion, Grecian, Helvetian, repletion, Rhodesian, suppletion, Tahitian, venetian
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.