Definition of sector in English:
1An area or portion that is distinct from others.
- The belt of southern sectors from Sectors 31 to 49 and Sectors 20, 21, 22 and 23 were affected.
- Illegal rooms have been constructed by city residents on open terraces of the existing block of flats in the entire belt of the southern sectors.
- Combined they account for a huge portion of the beef sector which overall makes up about 90% of meat output in the Irish market.
1.1A distinct part or branch of a nation’s economy or society or of a sphere of activity such as education: the industrial and commercial sector the business sector of the city
More example sentences
- As a result, the private education services sector is growing at around 30 percent per annum.
- They also protested against government plans to privatise the public health sector.
- Not that the financial services sector had been slow in its technology uptake.
1.2 Military A subdivision of an area for military operations.
- The First Battalion of the Black Watch is based in the British sector of southern Iraq, near Basra.
- Smith described the fighting in the southern sector as heavy with ‘lots of casualties’ among al-Qaida forces.
- This flight concentrated on the role usually played by the helicopter over the southern sector in response to naval tasking.
1.3 Computing A subdivision of a track on a magnetic disk.
- With the appropriate tools, you can create diskettes that have 80 sectors and 24 tracks per sector, giving 1,920KB per floppy.
- The search is complete: the hard disk knows what sector, on what track, on what platter the data resides.
- In other words, you do not have to worry about the cylinder, track or sector configuration of the disk drives.
2The plane figure enclosed by two radii of a circle or ellipse and the arc between them.
- For example, Figure 4a shows three such rings formed from the sectors and rectangle in Figure 3a.
- The protein molecules are modeled as 120 deg sectors of a circle.
- Each group was made up of units designated by letters, which were then assigned appropriate sectors on circles of different sizes.
Words that rhyme with sectorbisector, collector, connector, convector, corrector, defector, deflector, detector, director, ejector, elector, erector, hector, injector, inspector, nectar, objector, perfecter, projector, prospector, protector, rector, reflector, rejector, respecter, selector, Spector, spectre (US specter), vector
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.