Definition of sedative in English:
Promoting calm or inducing sleep: the seeds have a sedative effect
More example sentences
- In most cases patients did not respond to the usual doses of antipsychotics and sedative agents.
- Limited evidence from one animal study suggests that hops may potentiate the effects of sedative drugs.
- Antihistamines are sometimes used but mainly for sedative effect.
nounBack to top
A drug taken for its calming or sleep-inducing effect.
- She had become dependent on a variety of drugs - sedatives, amphetamines and various narcotics, including heroin.
- This strategy may prevent accumulation of sedatives by allowing the drugs to be eliminated between doses.
- Another psychiatrist also gave her sedatives and sleeping pills.