Definition of seemly in English:
Conforming to accepted notions of propriety or good taste; decorous: I felt it was not seemly to observe too closely
More example sentences
- For most practical purposes the exclusion is one of form, not substance, and is based on local cultural notions of what is seemly.
- The Marriage Act of 1995 extended the range of places which could be licensed for the conduct of marriage to any location which was appropriately seemly and dignified.
- In other words, didn't our notions of professional loyalty suggest a seemly bit of time between service to a president and exposure of his flaws?
- Example sentences
- For an institution whose culture has been built on order and seemliness, it is deeply distressing to learn of serious flaws and even criminal activity within its fold.
- There is a sort of seemliness by which you can live your life without having great moral principles.
- Hundreds die everyday without the seemliness of a proper investigation since there is never anyone to care.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.