An instrument that measures and records details of earthquakes, such as force and duration.
- Later, earthquake seismographs were developed that recorded digitally, and today virtually all modern seismic recordings are digital and thus involve some sort of signal processing.
- Noaa would record the earthquake on seismographs and issue bulletins about the progress of a tsunami.
- With more earthquakes, more and better seismographs recording quakes, and more comprehensive compilations of seismic data, seismologists are sharpening their view of the African plume.
- Example sentences
- Many amateurs acquire skills as lapidiaries, cutting, polishing and investigating specimens of all kinds, as photographers of landscape and geological phenomena, and even as builders of simple seismographic stations.
- The monitoring of seismic activity in Texas and studies of seismic risk are hampered by the small number of seismographic stations operating in the state.
- The most powerful method - seismology - is only possible for planets with seismographic stations, which have so far only been placed on the Earth and Moon.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of seismograph in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.