Definition of self-contained in English:
1(Of a thing) complete, or having all that is needed, in itself.
- Their completely self-contained unit is environmentally friendly, water wise, while the company will also take away the waste water.
- It is a completely self-contained cooling unit, which is located outside of the computer case.
- Planning permission is not required for the sub-division of the altered building into separate self-contained retail units.
2(Of a person) quiet and independent; not depending on or influenced by others.
- Fred is a quiet, unassuming, self-contained scientist with a tremendous capacity for seeing a difficult practical problem through to its conclusion.
- He's now self-contained and self-sufficient in a whole new way and he's even more dangerous here than in Magnolia.
- I can look after myself better than most people; I'm self-contained.
- Example sentences
- For many people and for a long time, a white cross on a red background - the Swiss national flag - represented security, neutrality, wealth and a peculiar attitude of smug self-containment reserved for a small nation.
- Small, dark and wiry, with piercing blue eyes, Max, arguably Britain's greatest living composer, is his usual contradictory mix of calm self-containment and sharp, simmering energy.
- The theme of self-reliance didn't have any greater political meaning for me as a kid than simply to resonate with my emotional self-containment in the face of familial upheaval.
Words that rhyme with self-containedingrained, self-restrained, self-sustained, unascertained, unconstrained, undertrained, undrained, unexplained, unfeigned, unrestrained, unstained, unstrained, unsustained, untrained
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.