Definition of self-contained in English:
1(Of a thing) complete, or having all that is needed, in itself.
- Their completely self-contained unit is environmentally friendly, water wise, while the company will also take away the waste water.
- It is a completely self-contained cooling unit, which is located outside of the computer case.
- Planning permission is not required for the sub-division of the altered building into separate self-contained retail units.
2(Of a person) quiet and independent; not depending on or influenced by others.
- Fred is a quiet, unassuming, self-contained scientist with a tremendous capacity for seeing a difficult practical problem through to its conclusion.
- He's now self-contained and self-sufficient in a whole new way and he's even more dangerous here than in Magnolia.
- I can look after myself better than most people; I'm self-contained.
- Example sentences
- For many people and for a long time, a white cross on a red background - the Swiss national flag - represented security, neutrality, wealth and a peculiar attitude of smug self-containment reserved for a small nation.
- Small, dark and wiry, with piercing blue eyes, Max, arguably Britain's greatest living composer, is his usual contradictory mix of calm self-containment and sharp, simmering energy.
- The theme of self-reliance didn't have any greater political meaning for me as a kid than simply to resonate with my emotional self-containment in the face of familial upheaval.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia