The ability to control oneself, in particular one’s emotions and desires or the expression of them in one’s behavior, especially in difficult situations: Lucy silently struggled for self-control
More example sentences
- This account suggests a tendency to lose self-control in unexpected situations.
- We need self-control in situations where anger or addictions cause us to spiral out of control.
- The law expects a greater measure of self-control in unwanted situations where human life is at stake.
- Example sentences
- The recommendations do not extend to predatory aggression or what has been described as planned and self-controlled aggressive behavior.
- He exhibited all the most valuable traits characteristic of this variety of personality, being scrupulous, self-controlled, honest, and passionately concerned with the pursuit of truth.
- Normally, they are self-controlled, calm and sympathetic.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.